Fri, 31 October 2008
BlipBlop, otherwise known as Bitpop or Chiptunes (and quite possibly a number of other things) is a new type of music, but also a (slightly) old one. The idea is to make music using outdated consoles and computers. Bit Shifter, for example, composes entirely on the Nintendo Game Boy. Strict restrictions on creativity like this are counter-intuitive - the more you are handicapped, the more you think of clever ways to get around problems. Having said that, some of the tracks and artists here stray a fair bit from that idea. But you get the point.
1. Anamanaguchi - Sting Operation
2. Bit Shifter - Hexadecimal Genome
3. Teamtendo - Philippines Volunteers
4. Random - Sitges Savepoint
5. Kid Carpet - Jump
6. Boy vs. Bacteria - Get Naked (The Stomp)
7. Paza - Crazy Bird
8. Slagsmålsklubben - Malmo Beach Night Party
9. Linde - Ryssland
10. Nullsleep - Dirty ROM Dance Mix
11. Rob Hubbard - Commando
Mon, 13 October 2008
1. The Kinks - Autumn Almanac
2. Django Reinhardt - September Song
3. Beth Gibbons & Rustin Man - Sand River
4. The White Stripes - Dead Leaves & The Dirty Ground
5. Arab Strap - Autumnal
6. Bat For Lashes - Sad Eyes
7. Destroyalldreamers - Automne
8. Sr. Click - Autumn
9. Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band - Autumn's Child
10. Tom Waits - November
11. Ralph Koster - November
Thu, 25 September 2008
This is a collection of the worst music I could find over the course of a week. Most of the 'bad music' compilations I found contained large quantities of novelty records and other deliberately bad or wacky music, which in my opinion isn't really fair. I set myself a rule with these that only genuinely non-ironically bad music was allowed - the performers must have at least tried, in fact often they are trying a little too hard. The only other rule I decided upon was that only universally bad music was allowed. My personal choices of Westlife, Celine Dion, James Blunt and Michael Learns To Rock were a temptation I had to resist. Here instead are 21 songs I'm sure everybody will hate. I for one hope to never hear any of them again.
1. Portsmouth Sinfonia - From The Nutcracker Suite
2. Elvis Presley - Old MacDonald
3. Vanilla - No Way No Way
4. Barney - I Love You
5. Nola Campbell - Searching For My Baby
6. The Legendary Stardust Cowboy - Paralyzed
7. St Winifred's School Choir - There's No-one Quite Like Grandma
8. Pat Campbell - Mother Went A Walking
9. Devastatin Dave - Zip Zap Rap
10. Eli Kaniel - The Impossible Dream
11. P.J. Proby - Only You (And You Alone)
12. Rotterdam Termination Source - Poing!
13. Maguerita Pracatan - Hello
14. Reginald Bosanquet - Dance With Me
15. Gloria Balsam - Fluffy
16. Roy "Chubby" Brown with Smokie - Alice
17. The Blue Smarties - Take A Look
18. Gypsy Boots and The Nature Boys - These Boots Are Made For Walking
19. William Shatner - Rocket Man
20. Peter Andre & Jordan - A Whole New World
21. Keith Harris & Orville - Orville's Song
Extended show notes with descriptions of each track are to be found below.
Thu, 25 September 2008
Click to download the extended notes for this fortnight's pod.
Tue, 9 September 2008
This fortnight's podcast started off as a selection of songs about sleep and moved within a few tracks to a selection of music that I could go to sleep to, getting more soothing and less intrusive as it goes on. A good deal of the sleep-based music I ound while making this was dull and artificial-sounding, which apart from being unimaginative could also be distracting. Good sleep music should be also be generally good music. This podcast is also the longest so far, as it can take me a while to get to sleep.
1. Madder Rose - Car Song
What should be the theme of the next LNADJKMD Podcast? Click to vote.
Thu, 21 August 2008
LNADJKMD is back, after a longer than expected break, and I'm back too - back in England for a year or so. Here's a selection of songs and talky bits which goes a little of the way towards painting a picture of the country of my birth. Not a completely nice picture, but that can't be helped now.
1. David Devant & His Spirit Wife - Life On A Crescent
Sat, 28 June 2008
Predictably the start of summer means a bunch of summer themed songs.
1. Arab Strap - The First Big Weekend
Fri, 13 June 2008
Though I'm of the traveling persuasuion, I don't take that many flights. It seems a little wasteful if I do - there's no hurry and I want to see as much of the journey as I can. Tonight I am taking a plane, though - from Hong Kong to London. I could go overland, but this time I really don't have the time or the money. Don't get me wrong, I know there's a lot of people who find flying either distressing or dull, but it still excites me somehow. It's something to do with being up amongst the clouds. They look so odd up there, it's like being in another world. I like going through thunderstorms too, though it seems to scare the other passengers.
This mix was made to listen to as you fly. An hour's listening time should cover the allowed listening time on most short-haul flights. Not all the tracks here are about flying - some I just thought would sound good up there. There's no mention of accidents at any point.
1. The Divine Comedy - Tonight We Fly
2. Girlfrendo - Air
3. The Flaming Lips - In the Morning of the Magicians
4. Clearlake - Winterlight
5. Flanders & Swann - By Air
6. Goldfrapp - Fly Me Away
7. Angela Morley - Kehaar's Theme
8. Vangelis - Blush Response
9. Douglas Adams - Learning To Fly
10. Gruff Rhys - Skylon!
11. Tangerine Dream - Fly And Collision Of Comas Sola (Exerpt)
Tue, 27 May 2008
Bit of a long podcast this time, and many more tracks I'd have liked to put in, and a few I didn't think of in time.
1. Fat Truckers - Anorexic Robot
2. Add (N) to X - Metal Fingers In My Body
3. Servotron - Slave To The Metal Hoard (Peel Session)
4. Daft Punk - Robot Rock
5. Silver Bullet - 20 Seconds To Comply
6. Vibert / Simmonds - (This Can) Robotic
7. 65 Days of Static - I Am Robot
8. Looper - My Robot
9. Rufus Thomas - Funky Robot (pt. 1)
10. Kenickie - Robot Song
11. Incredible String Band - Robot Blues
12. Erin Tobey - Robot Song
13. Kraftwerk - The Robots
Fri, 9 May 2008
This time the podcast answers the age-old question: Cats? Or dogs? You decide.
Alamo Race Track - Don't Beat This Dog
Cassetteboy - Dogs Dogs Dogs Oh Yeah Dogs
The Cabin Fever - Cats Are Cooler Than Dogs
David Sedaris - Cat Got Your Tongue?
Pink Floyd - Lucifer Sam
The Cramps - Can Your Pussy Do The Dog?
The Day Today - Bomb Dogs
The Beatles - Hey Bulldog
Rufus Thomas - Bear Cat
Mr Oizo - Last Night A DJ Killed My Dog
Kenneth Williams - Diary Of A Madman (exerpt)
Tommy Scott - Cats & Dogs
Cassetteboy - Loving Dog ft Al Stylus
Cat Stevens - I Love My Dog
Pony Up! - The Truth About Cats and Dogs (Is That They Die)