Sun, 9 April 2017
Sat, 11 March 2017
Tue, 14 February 2017
Sun, 27 November 2016
Wed, 5 November 2014
Includes these (and quite a bit more)
Add N to (X) - Ann's Eveready Equestrian
Thu, 24 April 2014
Moullinex - Sunflare
Direct download: Portugal_in_the_PWC_2014.mp3
Category: -- posted at: 9:18pm EDT
Mon, 29 April 2013
This year's Chinese zodiac mix is about snakes.
Direct download: Last_Night_A_DJ_Killed_My_Dog_30_-_Year_Of_The_Snake.mp3
Category:podcasts -- posted at: 11:47am EDT
Sun, 25 March 2012
1. A Challenge Of Honour – The Dragon's Breath (0.00)
Fri, 3 February 2012
The first of a few mixes intended to show the development of the Sheffield scene, made for Freaks, Mis-Shapes, Weeds - http://pulpsongs.wordpress.com/
1. The Future - 4JG
2. 2.3 - All Time Low
3. The Extras - Playback
4. The Human League - Being Boiled
5. Cabaret Voltaire - Nag Nag Nag
6. Vive Versa - New Girls / Neutrons
7. Comsat Angels - Ju Ju Money
8. They Must Be Russians - Don't Try To Cure Yourself
9. Y - End of Act One
10. Clock DVA - Remain Remain (Live)
11. Artery - Into The Garden
Anyone interested in these songs should check out the DVD 'Made In Sheffield' and the book / CD 'Beats Working For A Living' by Martin Lilleker, both available from Sheffield Vision - http://www.sheffieldvision.com/
Wed, 2 February 2011
As usual here's my annual Chinese New Year podcast. Happy 'Tu' Year.
Fri, 24 December 2010
Personally I'm a fan of Christmas, but I couldn't help but notice that lots of people like to complain about it. They may well be right. It's quite commercialised and it starts too early - these seem to be indisputable facts. All the same, though, it's a cliche to be cynical about the whole thing. There are lots of people who enjoy it a great deal, and if you don't want to join in with it all then spoiling their fun seems mean and petty. Why not listen to this selection of anti-festive songs instead?
1. The Fall - No Xmas For John Quays
Mon, 4 October 2010
This episode of Last Night A DJ Killed My Dog is all about being self-referential and self-conscious.
These are the tracks used:
Cassetteboy - Pilly the Biggs (clip)
Direct download: LNADJKMD_-_26_-_This_is_the_Title_of_the_Self-Referential_Podcast.mp3
Category:podcasts -- posted at: 2:12am EDT
Sun, 30 May 2010
This one has been in the planning stages for years, and is being put out there only at the stage of my finally giving up on ever making it what I want it to be. The idea originally was to combine the creepy waltzes of two of these tracks with a general theme of evil fairs. Since then I've waded through a huge amount of embarrasing goth-cabaret nonsense, some of which lingers here still.
Anyway, it's not a bad mix, not exactly. It was pretty good when I listened to it a couple of nights ago, but just annoying when I put it on again this morning. I suppose you have to be in the right sort of mood.
1. Minty - Procession 2. The Stranglers - Waltzinblack 3. Steve Harley & Cockney Rebel - Mr Soft 4. Pulp - Fairground 5. Broadcast - Phantom 6. The Human League - Circus of Death 7. Circus Contraption - The Odditorium / Carousel 8. Irvin's 89 Key Marenghi Fairground Organ - Help! 9. The Beatles - Being For The Benefit Of Mr Kite! 10. Scunner - Lost at the Fair
What should the next mix be about?
Sat, 27 February 2010
Here we are again, after a long, long break while I finished my MA and moved back to China, with another animal-year-themed pod. Gongxifacai!
Sun, 10 May 2009
This one is an experiment. I've taken 6 songs which go strange in the middle before kicking back in, and embedded them within each-other. I think it sort-of works. But judge for yourself.
1. My Bloody Valentine - You Made Me Realise
2. Mogwai - Stereodee
3. Arab Strap - Trippy
4. Pink Floyd - Interstellar Overdrive
5. John Martyn - I'd Rather Be The Devil
6. Soft Machine - Out-Bloody-Rageous
7. John Martyn - I'd Rather Be The Devil (continued)
8. Pink Floyd - Interstellar Overdrive (continued)
9. Arab Strap - Trippy (continued)
10. Mogwai - Stereodee (continued)
11. My Bloody Valentine - You Made Me Realise (continued)
Sun, 29 March 2009
When I was at school I thought that Autumn was my favorite season,possibly in a misguided attempt to be mysterious and cool. In real life, though, everyone knows that spring is the best, those first days of sun after a miserable British winter when the year just looks like getting better and better.
This time I just have music for you. Couldn't find any good speeches. Just lots of fairly relaxed music to listen to in the garden.
1. Moondog - Voices Of Spring
2. Epic45 - The Stars In Spring
3. Rites of Spring - Comin' On Back To Me
4. The Jesus & Mary Chain - April Skies
5. Simon & Garfunkel - April, Come She Will
6. The Go-Betweens - Spring Rain
7. Andromeda Island - Springtime
8. Blossom Dearie - It Might As Well Be Spring
9. St Etienne - Spring
10. The Lemon Drops - I Live In The Springtime
11. June & Johnny - When it's Springtime in Alaska (It's Forty Below)
12. Crescent - Spring
13. James Morton - Spring Is Here
14. Carmen McRae - Silent Spring
15. Paul Giovanni & Magnet - Maypole
(Bonus track: Owen J. McCormack - When It's Springtime in Virginia)
Sat, 7 March 2009
This mix has been in the LNADJKMD pipes for ages, I'm just glad to get it out of the system. Thanks for all the suggestions, sorry I could only use a few.
1. The Raincoats - Fairytale In The Supermarket
2. The Yummy Fur - Supermarket
3. Bis - Shopaholic
4. Joe Jackson (Do The) Instant Mash
5. Rob Sonic - Shoplift (El-P Remix)
6. Joe Cornish - European Supermarket
7. The Modern Lovers - Abominable Snowman In The Supermarket
8. Ladytron - Paco!
9. Smokey Robinson & The Miracles - Shop Around
10. The Clash - Lost In The Supermarket
11. 60ft Dolls - Happy Shopper
12. Lipkandy - Shopping
13. Devo - Freedom Of Choice
14. Pulp - His 'n' Hers
Sun, 8 February 2009
Slightly late podcast to celebrate the year of the ox.
Ox-based songs, music, quotes, sketches, all that.
You know the drill.
1. Aesop - The Oxen and The Butchers
2. Fieldtriqp - Goodnight Moo
3. The Who - The Ox
4. Oh No - Exp Out the Ox
5. Monty Python - The Background to History
6. Ilkae - Equate With Oxen
7. Captain Beefheart - Safe As Milk (Take 5)
8. Donald Hall - Ox-Cart Man
9. Seven Central and Mountain - Oxen Only Want To Be Free
10. Sonic Youth - Bull In The Heather
11. Wildchild - Ox to tha D (feat. Frank-n-Dank)
12. Sufjan Stevens - Year Of The Ox
Tue, 20 January 2009
Back after another unavoidable break, here's my keepsake for the last decade. Next time you're feeling like things are a bit crap have a listen to this and remember they could be a whole lot worse...
1. The Mammals - The Bush Boys
2. The George W Bush Singers - Deep Thoughts Pt II
3. Radiohead - 2+2=5
4. Immortal Technique - Bin Laden
5. Chris Morris - Bushwhacked 2
6. The Rub - George Bush is an Islamic Fundamentalist
7. Bright Eyes - When The President Talks to God
8. The Legendary K.O. - George Bush Doesn’t Care About Black People
9. Public Enemy - Hell No We Ain't All Right
10. Mitch Benn - Happy Birthday War
11. Nine Inch Nails - The Hand That Feeds (DFA Mix)
Fri, 31 October 2008
BlipBlop, otherwise known as Bitpop or Chiptunes (and quite possibly a number of other things) is a new type of music, but also a (slightly) old one. The idea is to make music using outdated consoles and computers. Bit Shifter, for example, composes entirely on the Nintendo Game Boy. Strict restrictions on creativity like this are counter-intuitive - the more you are handicapped, the more you think of clever ways to get around problems. Having said that, some of the tracks and artists here stray a fair bit from that idea. But you get the point.
1. Anamanaguchi - Sting Operation
2. Bit Shifter - Hexadecimal Genome
3. Teamtendo - Philippines Volunteers
4. Random - Sitges Savepoint
5. Kid Carpet - Jump
6. Boy vs. Bacteria - Get Naked (The Stomp)
7. Paza - Crazy Bird
8. Slagsmålsklubben - Malmo Beach Night Party
9. Linde - Ryssland
10. Nullsleep - Dirty ROM Dance Mix
11. Rob Hubbard - Commando
Mon, 13 October 2008
1. The Kinks - Autumn Almanac
2. Django Reinhardt - September Song
3. Beth Gibbons & Rustin Man - Sand River
4. The White Stripes - Dead Leaves & The Dirty Ground
5. Arab Strap - Autumnal
6. Bat For Lashes - Sad Eyes
7. Destroyalldreamers - Automne
8. Sr. Click - Autumn
9. Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band - Autumn's Child
10. Tom Waits - November
11. Ralph Koster - November
Thu, 25 September 2008
This is a collection of the worst music I could find over the course of a week. Most of the 'bad music' compilations I found contained large quantities of novelty records and other deliberately bad or wacky music, which in my opinion isn't really fair. I set myself a rule with these that only genuinely non-ironically bad music was allowed - the performers must have at least tried, in fact often they are trying a little too hard. The only other rule I decided upon was that only universally bad music was allowed. My personal choices of Westlife, Celine Dion, James Blunt and Michael Learns To Rock were a temptation I had to resist. Here instead are 21 songs I'm sure everybody will hate. I for one hope to never hear any of them again.
1. Portsmouth Sinfonia - From The Nutcracker Suite
2. Elvis Presley - Old MacDonald
3. Vanilla - No Way No Way
4. Barney - I Love You
5. Nola Campbell - Searching For My Baby
6. The Legendary Stardust Cowboy - Paralyzed
7. St Winifred's School Choir - There's No-one Quite Like Grandma
8. Pat Campbell - Mother Went A Walking
9. Devastatin Dave - Zip Zap Rap
10. Eli Kaniel - The Impossible Dream
11. P.J. Proby - Only You (And You Alone)
12. Rotterdam Termination Source - Poing!
13. Maguerita Pracatan - Hello
14. Reginald Bosanquet - Dance With Me
15. Gloria Balsam - Fluffy
16. Roy "Chubby" Brown with Smokie - Alice
17. The Blue Smarties - Take A Look
18. Gypsy Boots and The Nature Boys - These Boots Are Made For Walking
19. William Shatner - Rocket Man
20. Peter Andre & Jordan - A Whole New World
21. Keith Harris & Orville - Orville's Song
Extended show notes with descriptions of each track are to be found below.
Thu, 25 September 2008
Click to download the extended notes for this fortnight's pod.
Tue, 9 September 2008
This fortnight's podcast started off as a selection of songs about sleep and moved within a few tracks to a selection of music that I could go to sleep to, getting more soothing and less intrusive as it goes on. A good deal of the sleep-based music I ound while making this was dull and artificial-sounding, which apart from being unimaginative could also be distracting. Good sleep music should be also be generally good music. This podcast is also the longest so far, as it can take me a while to get to sleep.
1. Madder Rose - Car Song
What should be the theme of the next LNADJKMD Podcast? Click to vote.
Thu, 21 August 2008
LNADJKMD is back, after a longer than expected break, and I'm back too - back in England for a year or so. Here's a selection of songs and talky bits which goes a little of the way towards painting a picture of the country of my birth. Not a completely nice picture, but that can't be helped now.
1. David Devant & His Spirit Wife - Life On A Crescent
Sat, 28 June 2008
Predictably the start of summer means a bunch of summer themed songs.
1. Arab Strap - The First Big Weekend
Fri, 13 June 2008
Though I'm of the traveling persuasuion, I don't take that many flights. It seems a little wasteful if I do - there's no hurry and I want to see as much of the journey as I can. Tonight I am taking a plane, though - from Hong Kong to London. I could go overland, but this time I really don't have the time or the money. Don't get me wrong, I know there's a lot of people who find flying either distressing or dull, but it still excites me somehow. It's something to do with being up amongst the clouds. They look so odd up there, it's like being in another world. I like going through thunderstorms too, though it seems to scare the other passengers.
This mix was made to listen to as you fly. An hour's listening time should cover the allowed listening time on most short-haul flights. Not all the tracks here are about flying - some I just thought would sound good up there. There's no mention of accidents at any point.
1. The Divine Comedy - Tonight We Fly
2. Girlfrendo - Air
3. The Flaming Lips - In the Morning of the Magicians
4. Clearlake - Winterlight
5. Flanders & Swann - By Air
6. Goldfrapp - Fly Me Away
7. Angela Morley - Kehaar's Theme
8. Vangelis - Blush Response
9. Douglas Adams - Learning To Fly
10. Gruff Rhys - Skylon!
11. Tangerine Dream - Fly And Collision Of Comas Sola (Exerpt)
Tue, 27 May 2008
Bit of a long podcast this time, and many more tracks I'd have liked to put in, and a few I didn't think of in time.
1. Fat Truckers - Anorexic Robot
2. Add (N) to X - Metal Fingers In My Body
3. Servotron - Slave To The Metal Hoard (Peel Session)
4. Daft Punk - Robot Rock
5. Silver Bullet - 20 Seconds To Comply
6. Vibert / Simmonds - (This Can) Robotic
7. 65 Days of Static - I Am Robot
8. Looper - My Robot
9. Rufus Thomas - Funky Robot (pt. 1)
10. Kenickie - Robot Song
11. Incredible String Band - Robot Blues
12. Erin Tobey - Robot Song
13. Kraftwerk - The Robots
Fri, 9 May 2008
This time the podcast answers the age-old question: Cats? Or dogs? You decide.
Alamo Race Track - Don't Beat This Dog
Cassetteboy - Dogs Dogs Dogs Oh Yeah Dogs
The Cabin Fever - Cats Are Cooler Than Dogs
David Sedaris - Cat Got Your Tongue?
Pink Floyd - Lucifer Sam
The Cramps - Can Your Pussy Do The Dog?
The Day Today - Bomb Dogs
The Beatles - Hey Bulldog
Rufus Thomas - Bear Cat
Mr Oizo - Last Night A DJ Killed My Dog
Kenneth Williams - Diary Of A Madman (exerpt)
Tommy Scott - Cats & Dogs
Cassetteboy - Loving Dog ft Al Stylus
Cat Stevens - I Love My Dog
Pony Up! - The Truth About Cats and Dogs (Is That They Die)
Sat, 26 April 2008
Right now I'm taking a couple of months out to travel round South-East Asia, so I thought it would be good to have a soundtrack to accompany me along my (approximate) route. The result was a podcast that was much harder to compile than I first imagined and not really completely successful.
Wed, 9 April 2008
Since last time the theme was the devil it seemed fitting that his heavenly counterpart should have a show too, even if just to settle that old argument about who has the best tunes.
(incidentally, moderately-easy-to-offend Christians probably should give this one a miss)
Wed, 26 March 2008
1. Al Pacino - Speech from Devil's Advocate
2. City of Prague Philharmonic Orchestra - Theme from The Devil Rides Out
3. The Rolling Stones - Sympathy For The Devil
4. Godless Wicked Creeps - Deal With The Devil
5. Max Romeo And The Upsetters - Chase The Devil
6. Os Mutantes - Ave Lucifer
7. The Lord's Prayer Backwards
8. Boards Of Canada - The Devil Is In The Details
9. The Birthday Party - Mutiny In Heaven
10. Dimmu Borgir - Satan My Master
11. Fantômas - The Devil Rides Out (Remix)
12. Alec Empire - Down Satan Down (Dub)
13. Orbital - Satan (Industry Standard)
14. Nina Simone - Go To Hell
My Odeo Channel (odeo/f6ba8a4e17cbba56) satan devil lucifer podcast
Wed, 12 March 2008
This fortnight we're taking a trip across the USA.
New York is being saved for another time.
Incidentally I have never been to America.
1. Jonathan Richman & The Modern Lovers - New England
2. The Standells - Dirty Water
3. The Outcasts - I'm In Pittsburgh (And It's Raining)
4. Ry Cooder - My Old Kentucky Home (Turpentine & Dandelion Wine)
5. Ray Charles - Georgia On My Mind
6. Sufjan Stevens - Jacksonville
7. Drive-by Truckers - The Three Great Alabama Icons
8. Shocking Blue - Mississippi Delta
9. Louis Armstrong & Billie Holiday - Do You Know What It Means To Miss New Orleans?
10. Fats Domino - Kansas City
11. Public Enemy - By The Time I Get To Arizona
12. Richard Brautigan - A Short Story About Contemporary Life In California
13. Joni Mitchell - California
14. The Fall - L.A.
My Odeo Channel (odeo/f6ba8a4e17cbba56) american tour USA podcast
Wed, 27 February 2008
This fortnight's theme is 'Movies of the Eighties'.
1. Suburban Death Squad - Eighties Movie Era
2. Yello - Oh Yeah
3. Simple Minds - Don't You (Forget About Me)
4. Ray Parker Jr - Ghostbusters
5. Tom Cruise - The World's Last Barman Poet
6. Bis - Starbright Boy
7. Huey Lewis and the News - The Power of Love
8. Queen - Flash
9. Gerard McMann - Cry Little Sister
10. Tom Wilson - Biff's Question Song (Live)
Wed, 13 February 2008
Since this week is the first in the Chinese Year of the Rat, and since China is where I live right now, a rat-and-mouse-themed podcast seemed suitable. Why rats and mice? Because the Chinese don't make a distinction between the two... not just a justification for using that Adam & The Ants demo, I promise.
Here's what we have for you today, then:
1. The Walkmen - The Rat
2. The Specials - Rat Race
3. Mogwai - Ratts of the Capital
4. Blood Brothers - Rat Rider
5. Ride - Mousetrap
6. Cliff Carlisle - Mouse's Ear Blues
7. Roland Rat Superstar - No. 1 Rat Fan
8. Adam & The Ants - Mice In Freefall (demo)
9. Sonic Youth - Rats
10. Syd Barrett - Rats
11. Rats - Rats Revenge Pt. 1
12. Sufjan Stevens - Year of the Rat
My Odeo Channel (odeo/f6ba8a4e17cbba56) rat rats mice podcast
Wed, 30 January 2008
My original plans for this week's podcast had to be hastily shelved when I realised there were only 13mbs of space left for me to use. Instead of skipping a week here's an alternative - a mono pod with sounds from the days before stereo was even invented.
The 1930s were the decade of the great depression, but also saw the lifting of prohibition in the USA. The jazz and blues that had remained relatively underground in the secretive late 1920s became the soundtrack of the age, with big bands starting to replace smaller groups.
The music here is presented roughly chronolologically, with a couple of exceptions.
1. Cab Calloway and his Orchestra - Minnie The Moocher
2. Fletcher Henderson - Fidgety Feet
3. Leadbelly - Goodnight Irene
4. Tommy Dorsey's Clambake Seven - The Music Goes Round and Round
5. Duke Ellington & The Washingtonians - Rockin' In Rhythm
6. Charles Trenet - Je Chante
7. The Benny Goodman Sextet - I Got Rhythm
8. Fats Waller - It's A Sin To Tell A Lie
9. Andrews Sisters - Bei Mir Bist Du Schön
(p.s. if anyone has any suggestions of songs about mice, rats or robots then please feel free to leave a comment below)
Wed, 16 January 2008
This week's podcast comprises a selection of songs about breakfast.
1. Sabres Of Paradise - Jacob Street 7am
2. Ian Dury & The Blockheads - Wake Up And Make Love With Me
3. Cassetteboy - Sick as a Dog
4. Elastica - Waking Up
5. Aphex Twin - Milkman
6. Mice - The Milkman
7. Incredible Mouth Band - Incredible Breakfast Band
8. Trachtenburg Family Slideshow Players - Eggs
9. Orange Juice - Breakfast Time
10. Streetband - Toast
11. Desmond Dekker - Get Up Edina
12. Saint Etienne - Mario's Cafe
Wed, 2 January 2008
Last Night A DJ Killed My Dog is a new fortnightly podcast.
#001 is all about numbers.
1. Asa Chang & Junray - Hidden Track (excerpt)
2. Cornelius - Count Five or Six
3. Stereolab - Pause
4. BT - The Fibonacci Sequence
5. The Chemical Brothers - Base 6
6. Björk & Siobhan Fallon - 107 Steps
7. DJ Shadow - The Number Song
8. The Pointer Sisters - Pinball Number Count
9. Soul Coughing - Casiotone Nation
10. Kraftwerk - Numbers
11. Spiritualized - 200 Bars
12. Boards Of Canada - Aquarius
13. Owada - 1234
14. Pulp - This House Is Condemned (excerpt)
15. Asa Chang & Junray - Hidden Track
Next time: Breakfast.
Wed, 26 December 2007
This is the ident for Last Night A DJ Killed My Dog.
The podcast itself starts a week from today.