Wed, 30 January 2008
My original plans for this week's podcast had to be hastily shelved when I realised there were only 13mbs of space left for me to use. Instead of skipping a week here's an alternative - a mono pod with sounds from the days before stereo was even invented.
The 1930s were the decade of the great depression, but also saw the lifting of prohibition in the USA. The jazz and blues that had remained relatively underground in the secretive late 1920s became the soundtrack of the age, with big bands starting to replace smaller groups.
The music here is presented roughly chronolologically, with a couple of exceptions.
1. Cab Calloway and his Orchestra - Minnie The Moocher
2. Fletcher Henderson - Fidgety Feet
3. Leadbelly - Goodnight Irene
4. Tommy Dorsey's Clambake Seven - The Music Goes Round and Round
5. Duke Ellington & The Washingtonians - Rockin' In Rhythm
6. Charles Trenet - Je Chante
7. The Benny Goodman Sextet - I Got Rhythm
8. Fats Waller - It's A Sin To Tell A Lie
9. Andrews Sisters - Bei Mir Bist Du Schön
(p.s. if anyone has any suggestions of songs about mice, rats or robots then please feel free to leave a comment below)
Wed, 16 January 2008
This week's podcast comprises a selection of songs about breakfast.
1. Sabres Of Paradise - Jacob Street 7am
2. Ian Dury & The Blockheads - Wake Up And Make Love With Me
3. Cassetteboy - Sick as a Dog
4. Elastica - Waking Up
5. Aphex Twin - Milkman
6. Mice - The Milkman
7. Incredible Mouth Band - Incredible Breakfast Band
8. Trachtenburg Family Slideshow Players - Eggs
9. Orange Juice - Breakfast Time
10. Streetband - Toast
11. Desmond Dekker - Get Up Edina
12. Saint Etienne - Mario's Cafe
Wed, 2 January 2008
Last Night A DJ Killed My Dog is a new fortnightly podcast.
#001 is all about numbers.
1. Asa Chang & Junray - Hidden Track (excerpt)
2. Cornelius - Count Five or Six
3. Stereolab - Pause
4. BT - The Fibonacci Sequence
5. The Chemical Brothers - Base 6
6. Björk & Siobhan Fallon - 107 Steps
7. DJ Shadow - The Number Song
8. The Pointer Sisters - Pinball Number Count
9. Soul Coughing - Casiotone Nation
10. Kraftwerk - Numbers
11. Spiritualized - 200 Bars
12. Boards Of Canada - Aquarius
13. Owada - 1234
14. Pulp - This House Is Condemned (excerpt)
15. Asa Chang & Junray - Hidden Track
Next time: Breakfast.